Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:10 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Nice to hear that there are new boards out there for sure .
Thanks
Jimmy
Old 12-15-2017, 05:23 AM
Springman65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will give it a bit.....maybe order one in the spring.

Springman
Old 01-16-2018, 05:20 PM
LukeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TCB is on sale once more at Hobby King: Click Here

Not quite as discounted as their previous sale but still a good deal.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:36 AM
Springman65

The $44.52 price is a very good price. I will look to purchase again in the spring. But, still no sound and limited existing sound solutions to use with it. Anyway, its still a good board for the price.

Springman
Old 03-02-2018, 08:28 AM
Peregrine7

I'm very interested in finally trying out the OP, and I want to buy the TCB from HK. Do you think it's safe to buy one considering some of the feedback from the past few months? The people that bought the boards (those with hand replaced mosfets, and those without showing any manual soldering) didn't really report that they're working correctly, did they?

I found this cheap ESC that seems perfect, unless I'm missing something (my motors current with no load is about 5A and stall current is a little over 30A, so safe to assume under heavy tank load probably 10A each motor): https://www.banggood.com/DC-5-12V-30...r_warehouse=CN
Can you check the specs and tell me if there's anything I'd need to be concerned about? As I understand, all I need to connect is Vcc, GND on each channel, then CH1 PWM, CH2 PWM, and then motors, and battery + and -, right? I'm just not sure if this is RC or serial ESC (which one to pick in the configurator)

Finally, I understand that every function on each channel is passed from the transmitted only on +100% or -100% signal (or also 0% if this is a 3 way switch). So each switch is a separate dedicated channel. Since the programming is open source, how difficult would it be for me to modify it so it accepts inputs from radio on different ranges, like +25%, +50%, +75%, etc.. I could fit so many more functions using less channels and use more functionalities this way. Or perhaps you could redesign the configurator to allow setting our own channel range and picking channel # for each function? That would be ideal.
Thank you
Old 03-02-2018, 06:30 PM
LukeZ

Hi Peregrine,

1. I think it is safe to buy from Hobby King, I have not heard any complaints about boards purchased recently and I think all the original boards with the hand-replaced MOSFETs were sold by now so you should get one that is correct from the factory. I've noticed that HK has put the board back on sale again, this time for ~$36 which is pretty darn cheap.

2. That ESC that you linked is interesting but I do not think it will work with the TCB. Although they say it accepts "PWM" inputs, reading between the lines I don't think they mean PWM as in "RC servo control" but as in a literally pulsed frequency signal to control both the direction and duty cycle (speed) of the motors. It looks like it would need a minimum of 6 pins from an external processor to control it, in addition to power. Someone could probably create a simple Arduino Nano project to interface that ESC with standard RC gear (at which point it would become compatible with the TCB) but that would be work, money, bulk, and by the time it was all said and done you would definitely not have saved yourself any money or trouble. If China would just sell something like that with a small ATmega328 on board they would be perfect for us (at that point they would basically have re-produced the Scout/Sabertooth designs).

I really recommend people just buy a Sabertooth, yes they are expensive but tanks are expensive and the ecosystem required to get the TCB going is expensive. If you must go cheap get some cheapo RC speed controllers, there are some listed in the Wiki. Or use the Taigen V2 boards which are pretty nice these days.

3. I may not understand this question exactly, but at the end of the day it sounds like you are requesting more than 3 positions per channel. Yes theoretically that is possible but I will say this, if you have a radio that is capable of programming unusual numbers of positions to a single channel (4, 5, 6 positions, etc) then you probably have a radio with lots of channels to begin with. Those require some advanced mixes on the transmitter which are not available on any kind of entry level radio, not to mention you end up with a complicated control structure since at that point the positions being transmitted do not match any actual physical switch on the radio (ie, radios don't come with 4, 5, 6 position switches). Often you end up having to mix multiple physical switches together just to get one channel's worth of positions, which defeats the whole purpose of maximizing a limited number of switches.

I don't think it is a limitation to have individual switches assigned to individual channels, the TCB can handle 16 channels which is already far more than the number of physical switches found on most transmitters.

But to answer your hypothetical question, yes it is possible to change the TCB firmware to accept more than 3 positions per channel. It is not a trivial change. I have considered it but so far it has not risen to the top of the priority list for me to get around to doing it.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Peregrine7

Thank you for the torough answer, Luke. Few more thoughts for each of the points:

1) So I'll definitely get the TCB now while it's on sale.

2) I did some thorough research on this concept, and I now understand the difference with PWM motor control vs RC PWM. And it looks like the board you're referring to would be something like this, right?:
https://www.tindie.com/products/make...or-controller/
So a combination of both of these (or any other dual h-bridge) would give us a pretty good ESC for a fraction of sabertooth cost, right?
So if I decided to sandwich in this rc-to-dual h-bridge board, having experience with ESC specs, would you say that the h-bridge ESC I linked in the previous post is a good choice, or would you recommend to look for any specific better specs? The only thing I've noticed is that it's a little too large (7x5cm) for what I could probably fit.

3) Thank you for considering this. What you explained definitely makes sense. But I may have few points that you may have not considered, which really do justify my request.
Yes, I do have Taranis X9D Plus, with plenty of flexibility as you described. By default, Taranis has 8 toggle switches and 4 pots (not counting sticks). Hyphothetically this means that using OP configurator, besides the first 4 channels dedicated for sticks, I could use 12 more switches/pots assigned to individual channels. But here are the problems:
a) I have added 6 pos switch (like this: https://www.ebay.com/i/222257858478?chn=ps), which I cannot use with your configurator.
b) One of the pots is dedicated for radio volume control (= -1 switch/pot available)
c) One switch serves as a safety toggle between MG vs main gun airsoft fire, and the actual fire action for those is accomplished by a momentary switch (= -1 switch/pot available)
d) One 3 pos switch selects MG1/MG2 combinations while another momentary switch does the actual firing (= -1 switch/pot available)
e) One switch serves as a driver direction change (kind of like transmission disable, only forward or only reverse) (= -1 switch/pot available)
So now I only have 8 switches/pots to dedicate for 8 channels. One of them would be for sound card volume control, so again -1 more channel available = 7 channels left. This could or could not be enough, hard to say depending on how many options and user sounds I'd like to set up.
But also, very important, with a large combination of functions I already set up on my other tanks running ASPs, it's hard to remember where everything is assigned to unless I keep it consistent. So if I switch between tanks and my model switches are assigned differently, it'll be more of a headache than RC fun.

So to summarize this, allowing users control channel # and range would let us use custom switches (like the 6 pos I have), would allow us to keep our complex configurations not necessarily limiting the amount of channels by the amount of free switches (because we could do multiple switch combinations), and would allow us to keep our preferred switch assignement combinations the same for models with different control boards.

Last edited by Peregrine7; 03-02-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:31 PM
LukeZ

Hi Peter,

2) Yes you have understood the issue correctly. The RC-to-H-Bridge controller you found would indeed allow you to interface the earlier product you mentioned, although I note that the H-Bridge controller does its own mixing of steering and throttle which we would normally want the TCB to take care of. If you used it you would want to set the "Vehicle Type" to "Tank (Tamiya DMD)" on the Motors tab of OP Config. You will lose the turn mode functionality and may also lose the ability to neutral turn.

Frankly I can't recommend this setup at all because in my personal view it is too much trouble, too many wires, too many things to go wrong and sounds like a recipe for me to answer too many questions from frustrated users. If absolute minimum cost is your holy grail, just get some standard RC car ESCs such as the ones recommended in the Wiki, you will spend a fraction of even what you are proposing and will certainly experience a fraction of the headache. But if you do want to take the route you are suggesting then yes it will work.

3) If I can summarize this lengthy request in a few words it sounds like you want the ability to use a 6-position switch on one channel. I agree this would be useful for some people and I do think it's a reasonable request, but as I said before it is not at the top of the priority list so I can't predict when or if it will get done. When I consider making changes I try to take into account the effort required and the number of people the change would benefit. In this case the coding changes are significant and the only people who could even use the new functionality are those like yourself who have physically modified their transmitters with knobs and resistor arrays. So that definitely does not describe a large percentage of the tanking population.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Just in case, here is another user that will use a 6 pos switch. A 6 position switch for the 6 sounds soundbank sounds like a good idea.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Peregrine7

All right! Another user sharing my interest
Maybe we'll have more soon coming out of the woodwork

2) I see your point entirely. Seems like the best options to settle on are sabertooth (expensive), 2x rc car esc (take up much space), hl rx18 board (old 27mhz where you can hook into individual channels), and i think i read you can do the same with any taigen boards?

3) 6pos switch support is one thing. The other is ability to set up switches and functions identically as those already set up in other models using other brand boards (this last may or may not be an issue. I wouldn't know until I started setting up TCB first hand with all the same switch functions as in my other models).
Old 03-04-2018, 03:06 PM
LukeZ

2) The Heng Long RX18 is not compatible with the TCB. The new Taigen V2 motherboard could probably be used as speed controller with some goofing around and programming on your transmitter to synchronize the engine starting on the Taigen board with the TCB board. You aren't going to save money unless you already have a Taigen motherboard you want to re-purpose, but be prepared for some tinkering and extra complexity.

3) I wish you would read the documentation that has been put together for your benefit. If you had, you would know that you can assign any channel in any order to any function, or to multiple functions. There is no system on the market today that is more flexible in this regard than the Open Panzer board.

Please spend some time reading the Wiki from start to finish. Watch the instructional videos. Experiment with your own board. After all that, if you still think there is something missing, then feel free to ask an informed and specific question about it. Right now half your queries don't even make sense.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Peregrine7

Sorry, I was thinking of the rx18 with the use of rc5hl. So receiver via sbus to TCB, TCB individual channel outputs to rc5hl, and in essence you could use ESC and audio directly from rx18, while everything else would run from TCB. Though airsoft microswitch would also need connection to rx18 to trigger sound. And then you'd have to also deal with track recoil from rx18. I doubt I'd choose this route, anyway.

Yes, I have to read the wiki thoroughly.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:01 PM
tankme

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

I actually have one of the H-bridge based ESCs you posed Peregrine. I can verify that it will not work directly connected as an R/C interface. I have the DHB-1C: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/free...849758046.html

Thanks for the link to the serial interface. Since I can't use it the way I wanted to connected to the TCB, I'm going to use in another R/C project. I ordered one of the H-bridge to R/C interface boards to use it with that project.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:30 PM
Peregrine7

My pleasure Derek
At least one good thing that came out of my rant
Old 03-29-2018, 11:03 AM
outofmydepth

Default Update?

It has gone very quiet on this thread after so much activity, how are things with the card? Have the problems with production been resolved? Are people generally pleased with it and the progress being made? It sounded very promising......
Old 03-29-2018, 11:31 AM
Shorty54

I bought one a few weeks ago and have just been learning all the functions. The board I received was a full production one, had not been re soldered, so everything was done right the first time. So far I like it, but I have just been bench testing and playing with settings to see what it does. It has a ton of features and settings you can tweak all you want, I am amazed. You can leave it simple too. I dont have it in an actual tank yet, but I have gearboxes, motors, servos, rotation, speaker, and TBS mini all connected on the bench. There is a learning curve for sure, if your new at programming things. Luke is very good on the OP forum. He has responds very quickly if you post there. The Wiki and OP config I think is very easy to use. I think they are still on sale and for that price I thought what the heck I would try it. So far I am glad I did!

Shad
Old 03-29-2018, 12:19 PM
outofmydepth

Thanks Shorty, very pleased to hear that, it was a difficult start and it would be such a shame if this just died a slow death, not only because it seems such a good piece of kit, but it is great value. I also worry that if this were to fail, it is unlikely anyone will try anything like it again (more so when you think how much effort Luke has put into it).
Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 PM
Shorty54

So far I think it gets a bad rap because it does not come with ESCs or sound. There are several reasonable ESCs you can use and also sound cards other than the Benedeni. I am messing with 2 different ESCs right now, just experimenting, both are ones listed and tested on the wiki. I already had a couple Benedeni TBS minis so that made my decision a little easier. I have used RX18, BARC4, Taigen, Clark TK22, and Tamiya electronics. I am staying kind of quiet because I dont actually have it in a running tank yet. Once I do and battle it with my other Tamiya and VS tanks I will start to comment more. I dont want to say too much, and then be accused of false info because its not actually in a tank running.

Thanks,
Shad
Old 03-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Peregrine7

I've ordered 2 TCB boards on HK about 3 weeks ago and my order status still shows as processing... Has anyone else experienced delays like that?
Old 03-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by Peregrine7
I've ordered 2 TCB boards on HK about 3 weeks ago and my order status still shows as processing... Has anyone else experienced delays like that?
Yes! When I ordered mine it said processing for 4 days. I called them and later that day what do you know, it was shipped, and I had it 3 days later.
Maybe call them or "chat message".

Shad
Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 PM
outofmydepth

Shad, is that your impression that generally it has had a bad rap thus far? I think the fact it does not come with ESC's is a good thing in so much you can then choose what you like and it is suitable for all scales and weights. Sound is the only issue for me, but only because there is not much choice (again don't mind it's not included as long as there are choices). On that front what other choices other than Benedini are there, is it still just the Taigen card or are there more now? It cannot be everything people want instantaneously, the whole ethos is that is evolves and improves over time and with the 'communities' input.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:14 AM
Springman65

I have to confess that I ordered one of the initial HK boards that was bad; after that I have meant to order another, but I have not. The TCB sort of got pushed to the back-burner with other things going on. I do like the concept; but, I am someone who thinks sound integration is needed as well. But, ESC integration could effect scale-ability, so I think that should be kept separate. For me, these days my focus in the hobby has sort of shifted to 3D Printing and the learning there of, and the electronics aspects have been delayed for now.

But, I noticed in the ClarkModel 2018 thread that Clark has integrated a Raspberry Pi Zero to its boards (some boards) to give their on-board systems internet (WiFi) access and an on-board camera feature; and, also eluded to using the PI for extra sound generation...... Can the sound generation capabilities for the TCB do the same or similar?? Its an interesting question.......

Springman

Last edited by Springman65; 03-30-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:42 AM
Peregrine7

Originally Posted by Shorty54
Yes! When I ordered mine it said processing for 4 days. I called them and later that day what do you know, it was shipped, and I had it 3 days later.
Maybe call them or "chat message".

Shad
Thanks, yeah, i can understand 4 days, but 3 weeks? I'll have to chat them then.

Originally Posted by outofmydepth
...what other choices other than Benedini are there, is it still just the Taigen card or are there more now?
Exactly my question, too.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:13 AM
Shorty54

My personal opinion, and I am still quite new to the RC tank hobby, is the majority wants a plug n play system when it comes to electronics. The keep it simple stupid still stands for many.
A electronics package that is simply plug and play with no soldering, and no programming. The problem came about with IR. Tamiya is the standard for IR play. So now HL, and Taigen owners had to adapt something to play with the Tamiya. So enter in all the new electrics boards just to get a Tamiya IR signal. But then we heard new sounds, and ability to turn things on and off, momentum, extra lighting, etc. We had 4 basic channels that were simple and worked great (and still do) for years. I think the "cool" factor set in some were bored with same old sound and different tanks having the same sound. The problem is that the new upgraded electronics are more than the RTR tank. Some think thats crazy and turning a $109 HL tank into a $700 battling sound king seems crazy to some. Just read new threads on "Im thinking of buying a IR tank, what should I buy"

My other main hobby is 1/32 Digital slot cars. The same issue is with the 'RTR' if you will Race Management System that comes with the RTR kit. It will get you started, but if you really want a more 1:1 race feel and really have fun, you must upgrade. All the RMS systems are 3rd party and actually very good. So I now 3 of them. They are very close in comparison but each has just something little that the other s dont.

That being said. I love my Tamiyas, take off the shelf turn on full battle ready work the way they are suppose to, sound decent drive decent and are Tamiya battle ready if needed in an event. Also they are very simple for a newcomer or relative to try out that has never driven or battled with one.

The Open Panzer gives you more flexability than any other board out there right now. Choose your own ESC, I like that you can use cheap if you can get by with them, if you have a Tamiya DMD laying around, you can use that. If an ESC fails, you replace that, not the whole board. Sound I think will get better, new cards will emerge. The Mini and Micro work well. I think they are more popular in the Europe areas along with OP. I know there is a Benedini clone, but I am not sure it works yet or has been tested with the OP. 123 Electronic sound cards have worked with HL and Taigen I believe, but again not sure with the OP. But again, if sound fails, its seperate from the board. I also like that the whole Schematic and parts for the board are all in the wiki. You can repair the board if needed. Most boards you have to send back and who knows how long and what shipping cost will be. The other is getting help to diagnose issues. So far Luke has answered all my questions and concerns in a very timely mannner. And since its open source, I am sure others will be able to help.

My opinion is that its a very advanced board, that is still simple to use. It is beyond plug and play, but the plug and play boards are not offering what more people want now.
I have read a lot of IBU and they seem to be great also, more plug and play than the OP. But, they still have the ESC and Sound in the board. I see no issue with that, dont get me wrong. I personally like parts separated, coming from a mechanics point of view.

I am not a die hard stick to my guns when it comes to hobbies. I think the main majority of boards are decent. Some have had great luck with one and others bad with the same one.
Without them, there would be less tanks being purchased I think.

Again, this is just an opinion of a "still newbie IR tanker" just dabbling here in there with IR tanks. I am actually building my very first Tamiya E8.
All my other tanks have been bought either new RTR or Tamiya used and I fixed them up.

I am excited for the Open Panzer!

Shad
Old 03-30-2018, 07:55 AM
outofmydepth

There will be always those who love plug and play and those that like greater involvement, just because you like one (or the other) does not demean either, it's just a choice! I too have just bought my first r/c tank and plunged in the deep end with a full metal 1/8th metalwork's Tiger (weighing 70kg) never having had anything to do with radio controlled models (or models of any sort), but it is the introduction of this board that interests me so much because there is so much to learn and so many parameters, and unusually it's in the open arena. I see it as a challenge and one with rewards (an interesting tank hopefully), and this kind of development makes the model hobby universe very expansive (and hence interesting). I just hope a sound card is forthcoming (or more choice) because it is an essential ingredient. Without this I worry a little for its future although I will seek out a second hand Bendini board for the time being (not sure if they ever become available on the used market?). Upshot is I have ordered an OP board now and I am looking forward to getting stuck in...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.