Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Intro to the Open Panzer Project - and a new Tank Control Board

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:01 PM
uglyduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Squirlier was a member of this forum at one point but hasn't been active for some time. I don't know him personally but I commented on his youtube channel regarding this project and pointed him to the OP site. I don't know if he looked at the TCB GitHub repository or not. I think a lot of the work he's done on GBS thus far could be helpful (and is also open source). His comrade, Quantum2k6 (YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Schnipo...w=0&shelf_id=0) has also done some very interesting work with the StabiWii to include an explosive flash and smoking coax and main gun barrel using a servo controlled diaphragm. Many parts of their tanks are custom machined but also very realistic.

I'm not a coder, but am in the beginning stages of learning Arduino programming. The GBS is a portion of the project I'm interested in helping with but I need to learn a lot more before I'm useful.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:21 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Question: I have yet to review the open panzer or wiki sites to glean this information but in reading that the ESC is a separate unit
seems to me if one has the option of using any compatible esc( not sure how many there are/ will be) you should be able to select from
an array the most appropriate for your model's physical weight. For the 1/6 guys for their 500 pound juggernauts, to my 1/10 scale 100 pound
models and of course whatever your 1/16 scale model requires?

Or will it be a one size esc fits all?

Jerry
Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 PM
LukeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent question Jerry. The Wiki has a page for every piece of hardware that could be attached to it, here is the page on motor controllers.

But the short answer is, the options for ESCs are infinite. You can use any standard hobby ESC, either brushed or brushless. You can use any dual motor controller sold by Dimension Engineering, they have units ranging from 5 amps to 60 amps. You can use either of the Pololu Qik controllers (1 amp to 13 amps). You can use our own version Scout ESC, which is a dual motor brushed controller capable of sourcing 10 amps continuous, more with a fan. However we do not yet have a contract for Scout manufacturing.

For very small models (1/24 scale or lightweight 1/16 like a plastic Pz II or 38t), you can use the two onboard motor drivers capable of sourcing 2 amps per motor.

Also for very small models (1/24 scale) you can use continuous rotation servos for the drive units. These are convenient because a servo combines inside one small plastic case an ESC, motor and high reduction gearbox. The TCB can source up to approximately 3 amps for servos, more than enough for 1/24 scale.

I should point out that you also have all these same options for driving turret motors. If you have a heavy 1/6th scale tank and the turret rotation motor draws 20 amps, you can simply control it with a standard hobby ESC. If you want to drive your turret rotation with a continuous rotation servo, you can do that too.

The options and combinations are truly limitless. The goal is to give you a platform that can be made to work with whatever your specific project requires.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:23 PM
TheBennyB

Gotta say, if nothing else Luke, your on the ball on getting responses/info out. Very good trait to have here, much appreciated.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:50 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with the open concept. It truly is the way of the future for the reasons you have mentioned. It will be bigger and more sustainable then any one man band shop could be.

It is kind of a field of dreams thing. If you build it they will come. The big thing here is you need developers and coders to get after it. There is a degree of complexity that just won't appeal to some.

However this the real future. The hobby business is too small and fractionated to sustain anything else. All other systems are managed and maintained by people who have day jobs, and as soon as they feel they have had enough ,they are out. This open concept leaves a library of code and information that has the ability to build and expand at a rate quicker then any one system could, and all the details are there for all to understand and use. Theoretically anyway.

There is market fundamentals though that also come into play. Who gets the word out, and how do you make this information available. I guess a web site with updates and details of new code Is a start. You almost need a Shapeways approach to this. People can log on and look at what code is available and what it does they can then purchase the code for download, Much like you buy apps for your tablet.

Cheers

Dan
Old 01-15-2017, 02:45 PM
philipat

This looks like an interesting project with a lot of promise. My only concerns are similar to those mentioned about separate units. Having to buy a separate receiver, ESC and sound card add expense, which is a problem in of itself. But, the biggest problem I see is space. Working multiple boards and their associated wiring into small tanks (like the PzIII and PzIV) with a battery will be a real challenge. Anyone try one of these with all of the associated control boards (sound, etc) in a small tank?
Old 01-15-2017, 03:46 PM
LukeZ

Originally Posted by philipat
Anyone try one of these with all of the associated control boards (sound, etc) in a small tank?
The second photo in this post shows it installed in a stock HL PzIII chassis. And no, I wouldn't be able to get the lid on as you see it there, but I also have two sound cards and two speakers in that picture, and the stock HL chassis has the stupid battery box.

Here is a picture of the TCB in an Asiatam PzIII hull. In addition to the TCB there is a Sabertooth 2x5 ESC, Benedini and newer style HL speaker, FrSky 16-channel SBus receiver, stock HL smoker, and a 4200mAh 2-cell hardcase lipo that will run for hours. Yes, the "hygiene" gets a bit worse when the turret connections are added, but it is certainly doable. I usually dispense with the HL smokers since they don't last anyway, and then you can see you'd have room to spare, perhaps for a larger oval speaker. I also usually dispense with the sound units too since they give me a headache, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. Point is, all the stuff can be made to fit as you can see here.

But no question in total this does take up more space than a Clark and for sure more than stock Taigen/HL MFUs, but it also certainly takes up less space than the two Tamiya boxes plus bulky Tamiya receiver. And compared to all other aftermarket options we do save space by using SBus/iBus/PPM receivers, which can be had extremely small, down to the size of a postage stamp.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TCB_PzIII.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	531.2 KB
ID:	2196866  
Old 01-15-2017, 05:10 PM
philipat

Originally Posted by LukeZ
The second photo in this post shows it installed in a stock HL PzIII chassis. And no, I wouldn't be able to get the lid on as you see it there, but I also have two sound cards and two speakers in that picture, and the stock HL chassis has the stupid battery box.

Here is a picture of the TCB in an Asiatam PzIII hull. In addition to the TCB there is a Sabertooth 2x5 ESC, Benedini and newer style HL speaker, FrSky 16-channel SBus receiver, stock HL smoker, and a 4200mAh 2-cell hardcase lipo that will run for hours. Yes, the "hygiene" gets a bit worse when the turret connections are added, but it is certainly doable. I usually dispense with the HL smokers since they don't last anyway, and then you can see you'd have room to spare, perhaps for a larger oval speaker. I also usually dispense with the sound units too since they give me a headache, but I know I'm in the minority on that one. Point is, all the stuff can be made to fit as you can see here.

But no question in total this does take up more space than a Clark and for sure more than stock Taigen/HL MFUs, but it also certainly takes up less space than the two Tamiya boxes plus bulky Tamiya receiver. And compared to all other aftermarket options we do save space by using SBus/iBus/PPM receivers, which can be had extremely small, down to the size of a postage stamp.

Thanks for that picture. Looks like it could be made to fit. Support for and using LiPos certainly frees up some space. I like to keep the sound and the smoke. I know the smoke is a little gimmicky, but the kids like it. Looks tight but doable.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Solution: go 1/10 scale!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:25 PM
ksoc

Originally Posted by Tanque
Solution: go 1/10 scale!
Go large or go home? It would be nice sometimes, but parking/storage/Transportation is also a "bigger" Issue.

I really like the idea of a base, Tamiya compatibility, with a wide option of customization available.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:05 PM
LukeZ

Originally Posted by uglyduck
Squirlier was a member of this forum at one point but hasn't been active for some time.
Uglyduck, I saw your post on Squirlier's YouTube, and his response! That's ok, the fact is his system is not dependent on any MFU so doesn't need to be integrated with the TCB, it's a standalone add-on.

I started a thread for further discussion of his system if anybody wants to experiment and take it further.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Panzerpaul

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

I have not read all of this thread, so perhaps this question was answered..... Can this board be used for fixed gun emplacements? All that is needed is cannon sound, flash, IR, and barrel up/down/ sideways..... Thanks, PP
Old 01-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Panzerpaul
I have not read all of this thread, so perhaps this question was answered..... Can this board be used for fixed gun emplacements? All that is needed is cannon sound, flash, IR, and barrel up/down/ sideways..... Thanks, PP
So far there isn't anything I've found this board won't do Since it does have the ability to use multiple firing systems you can set it up to shoot whatever IR signal you want and even set custom parameters such as time to reload and more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OP config IR.jpg
Views:	2493
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	2197343  
Old 01-19-2017, 03:34 PM
LukeZ

Paul, you may also be interested in the Standalone TankIR project, which consists of firmware designed to run on any standard Arduino Uno/Nano, etc... It can send and receive any IR code, control a recoil servo and flash unit, and could easily also control a Benedini sound unit, though that would become awful expensive for an emplacement. It can also serve as an automatic "tank repair station" that will respond to an IR signal from a damaged tank by returning a repair signal (Clark, IBU or RCTA repair protocols are all implemented).

The code can be found here: TankIR
Old 01-23-2017, 08:55 AM
YHR

Spent some time reading at the website. I guess all I need to know now is what the cost of the board will be.

Cheers

Dan
Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 AM
LukeZ

Originally Posted by YHR
I guess all I need to know now is what the cost of the board will be.
You and me both! I will post here as soon as I find out. I honestly have no idea what they are going to decide, but obviously like the rest of you I'm hoping it will be as low as possible.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Imex-Erik

Hey guys,
I've got something nice to share tomorrow Just a heads up! I tried to upload before I left work but was getting some errors, I'll get it up tomorrow morning!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:46 AM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Hey guys,
I've got something nice to share tomorrow Just a heads up! I tried to upload before I left work but was getting some errors, I'll get it up tomorrow morning!

So...Um Erik, um its morning, where is the something nice? lol
Old 02-03-2017, 07:13 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Shorty54
So...Um Erik, um its morning, where is the something nice? lol
Wow 6:45am lol. I don't even get up until 7am haha. I had to upload it again so it took a bit. Sorry the audio isn't that great, recording sounds is always hard and then uploading to YT it gets killed as well. Maybe I'll bring in my Snowball mic sometime.... anyways, video here:
https://youtu.be/NpUjzYvDQCY Oh and I forgot to mention something VERY important in the video.... The setup process involves two steps:
  • Select the Taigen sound card in the sound tab
  • Save
That's it You currently have the option to turn off the elevation and rotation sounds as well if you want too. Nothing needs to be programmed or setup. Each card contains all the sounds. Thank your OP dev for all the hard work, the Taigen sound cards will be supported on day 1!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Shorty54

Looks simple. Is this supposed to be used instead of a Benedeni in the new OP board? It will be nice to hear stock Taigen tanks with some sounds. Nice work!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:44 AM
Imex-Erik

Yes it is VERY simple, that is the best part. 1 wire is all that is needed to interface with it. No need to train or program it, the TCB controls it all. You can use either the Taigen sound card or the TBS at the moment, but if you guys have already downloaded the app you can see there is an OP sound card in the works too
Also yes, it is nice to hear some new sounds and will be nice to have a nice way to change them easily too. We will have them separately available for everyone of course upon launch. The PIV will most likely be the first tank to release with both the new motherboard and sound card.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

This is a really fantastic development. I absolutely can't wait to get the proper sounds in my M26. As soon as you know when they'll be available, Eric, just give me a call and I'll hook you up with the credit card number for my first of many.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:02 AM
LukeZ

Thanks Erik for posting that. In addition to the sounds he demonstrated the Taigen card also has "cannon hit" and "vehicle destroyed" sounds for those engaged in IR battle.

Although it's fair to say there are more advanced options available today, I actually like the simplicity of these Taigen boards and the fact they are standalone units. They are very small, uncomplicated, no setup required, no software required, no mixing sound files; what you see is what you get and they just work. No doubt when they are finally released they will also be very affordable. So I think they will be a great solution for many models.

I also want to thank Erik again for his terrific attitude, his enthusiasm for the hobby and his desire to help all of us irregardless of how much we've spent at his store. It's not lost on me that he just decided to demonstrate a new Taigen product in what could arguably be described as his competitor's thread. I actually don't consider myself his competitor, and hopefully the TCB helps Taigen sell even more sound boards, but still this sort of collegial environment I think is rather unique to the RC tank fraternity. Erik in particular has gone a long way to fostering this spirit generally by setting the example - and the standard!
Old 02-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Imex-Erik

No need for thanks my friend, open source benefits us all. From tankers to manufacturers, the wealth of knowledge is something we all can use. I've always been a fan of open source, the ability to modify and change what you already own has always been a big deal for me. Bringing this to the tank world is more than I could of imagined, especially to this magnitude.
As for a competitor, I don't see us as that I see us as collaborators in a hobby. The more things we ALL help with the better and more knowledge we can spread. I think open source is exactly what this community needs. Plus, whoever said Taigen and OP can't work together? I personally would love to see a full OP system in a Taigen tank. My Tiger 1 tank is absolutely AMAZING. I have an airsoft barrel recoil Tiger 1 with IR emitter and flash, running 3:1 gearboxes with amazing control (no need to run 4:1 if your ESCs are good quality and you have access to accel/decel at all times!), all IR system compatible with Tamiya IR receiver, FPV controlled via the TCB, bluetooth, 360 degree turret, servo elevation, access to multiple sound cards, and more. I can't wait to see what others do with their boards!
Old 02-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Code501

I have been following this thread, for a while now, with great interest. This is a good solution for the 2 Benedini's I have lying about. Can't wait till the TCB is available!

However, I have one question: I have read/skimmed through all the documentation and could not find a way to utilize a gearbox with a drive motor and steering motor (DKLM Propulsion Dynamics Steel Gearbox http://www.dklmrc.com/product/pdsgb ). Could this control method be implemented?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.