Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

the out runner motor blues

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

the out runner motor blues

Old 03-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Captainbob
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the out runner motor blues

How would one go about controlling a 3 phase DC out runner motor without going thru the throttle channel or some other channel?
I have been experimenting with developing a working hydraulic system for my model airplanes. the systems so far have used a turbine model fuel pump. these pumps are very expensive, around 400. dollars. I have found a pump made in China that is intended for construction equipment modelers for around $125 but the speed control provided with the motor requires the use of one r/c radio channel. This is not necessary on my system as the pump is simply "on'' or "off" and this function is controlled automatically by a pressure switch. Call for the gear "up" and the pump comes on and runs until the gear cycle is finished then shuts off when the pressure reaches 100 psi.
How can I do the same thing using an outrunner motor?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

There are RC switches that your Rx will command to turn on/off.

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 03-24-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:54 PM
kenlowe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Captainbob, I presume you're planning on an ESC to run your motor and just need a means to provide the appropriate signal for it. You might be able to purchase and modify a servo tester (Amazon offers a few under 7 bucks) that includes a knob to adjust the output pulse width. If you can solder and build a simple circuit, Google "servo tester circuit" for several examples. In either case, you'll substitute resistors whose serial or parallel values are altered by your pressure switch to get the appropriate output pulse width. Program your ESC to run the appropriate speed at one pulse width and stop at the other. Good luck finding a pressure switch light/cheap enough to fit your weight and cost budget.