Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I was thinking the T-33 myself, until I remembered, with Cuban pilots flying them, they actually shot down American WWII vintage bombers during the "Bay of Pigs" fiasco

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 03-18-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:39 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjetflyer0718-RCU
F 89 Scorpion

If I'm right the floor is open because I have connection issues
That's the plane! "Scorpion" because the stab high up supposedly reminded people of a scorpion. The event referred to in Clue 3, sometimes called "the battle of Palmdale," was an attempt to shoot down a drone that was not responding to commands. The weapon that it was the only plane ever to fire was a nuclear rocket. Probably not a great idea. I think that was about the time that the army had a cannon that fired nuclear shells: It's on display at Fort Sill.The movie was "Jet Pilot," starring John Wayne as a colonel who became highly embarrassed when Janet Leigh (a Russian spy!) took a shower. She eventually defected because there was so much wonderful stuff for sale in the base exchange. Nice shots of airplanes, though, including an F-94, which I can't remember seeing in any other movie.

Here's the Wiki, and there's a link to the battle of Palmdale there. Probably one for "Jet Pilot" too. Surely the least imaginative movie title ever. Netflix has the DVD.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-89_Scorpion

Last edited by Top_Gunn; 03-18-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:16 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

F 89 Scorpion

Sir; why not go ahead and try to manage the next question? If you suffer connection issues, we can wait a bit for the next clue. And if we lose you completely, we'll just go ahead without you and post a new question. You might enjoy playing. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Ernie P.

F 89 Scorpion

Seeing nothing from rcjetflyer0718-RCU, the floor is open. If anyone would like to take the lead, please post your question now. If nothing is posted within 24 hours, I will post a new question. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

I'm out this time around, will not have computer access for several days. Sorry Guys
Old 03-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Ernie P.

And once again, into the breach. Thanks; Ernie P.

This one will go quickly. There simply isn’t all that much to know about this aircraft.

Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

1: This aircraft came to life in the latter stages of WWII.

2: It was intended to be used in combat.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 03-21-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:43 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

3. But, although it did see combat in a very limited role, it was never used as intended.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:49 AM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe the F8F? Intended for air-to-air combat, but too late for WWII so used by the French for ground-attack in Indochina, not a role for which it was well suited.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:07 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Maybe the F8F? Intended for air-to-air combat, but too late for WWII so used by the French for ground-attack in Indochina, not a role for which it was well suited.
A good answer, Al; but not where we're headed. Maybe this bonus clue will help narrow the field. Thanks; Ernie P.

This one will go quickly. There simply isn’t all that much to know about this aircraft. Question: What warbird do I describe?

Clues:

3. But, although it did see combat in a very limited role, it was never used as intended.

4. It was being held in reserve; awaiting a battle that never happened.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

5. Even more so, it was the weapon to be carried by this aircraft that was being held in reserve.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:29 AM
Ernie P.

Today's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

5. Even more so, it was the weapon to be carried by this aircraft that was being held in reserve.

6. The aircraft was to be produced in three different versions.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:50 AM
Ernie P.

Today's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

7. A fighter; ground attack; and a night fighter.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:02 AM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

F7F Tigercat
Old 03-24-2019, 12:05 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
F7F Tigercat
Not the Tigercat Sparky, even though there were some similarities; but here's a bonus clue to reward your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

8. The night fighter version failed to materialize because the necessary radar units could not be produced in time.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:22 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

A3D Drut that's spelled backwards, "Willie the Whale"
Sparky
Old 03-24-2019, 08:07 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
A3D Drut that's spelled backwards, "Willie the Whale"
Sparky
<chuckle> Not any version of the Skyknight, Sparky; but here's a bonus clue to speed your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

8. The night fighter version failed to materialize because the necessary radar units could not be produced in time.

9. And the day fighter version didn’t go anywhere because heavy day fighters had already been shown to perform poorly when faced with enemy single engine fighters.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:26 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

9. And the day fighter version didn’t go anywhere because heavy day fighters had already been shown to perform poorly when faced with enemy single engine fighters.

10. So, in the end, only the ground attack version was produced in any quantity.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:28 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

10. So, in the end, only the ground attack version was produced in any quantity.

11. And even then, only a few hundred of the ground attack version could be produced.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:28 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

11. And even then, only a few hundred of the ground attack version could be produced.

12. Almost all of which were held in reserve for use in defense against an attack that never came.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:44 PM
Hydro Junkie

How about the Kawasaki Ki-102?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
How about the Kawasaki Ki-102?
You nailed it! Congratulations, Sir; and you are now up. What gave you the answer? Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

12. Almost all of which were held in reserve for use in defense against an attack that never came.

13. Still, great hope was placed in the ground attack version and the new and untried weapon it was to carry.

Answer: The Kawasaki Ki-102

The Kawasaki Ki-102 (Army Type 4 assault aircraft) was a Japanese warplane of World War II. It was a twin-engine, two-seat, long-range heavy fighter developed to replace the Ki-45 Toryu. Three versions were planned: the Ki-102a day fighter, Ki-102b ground-attack and Ki-102c night fighter. This aircraft's Alliedreporting name was "Randy".

Design and history

It entered service in 1944, but saw limited action. The main type (102b) was kept in reserve to protect Japan, although it did see some limited duty in the Okinawa campaign. It was kept out of front line service because it was hoped that it would be the carrier of the Igo-1-B air-to-ground guided missile when the Allied invasion of Japan occurred.

Role
Ground attack and night fighter

National originJapan Manufacturer
Kawasaki Kōkūki Kōgyō K.K. First flight
Introduction
Retired
Primary user
Imperial Japanese Army Air Force Number built238
Developed fromKawasaki Ki-96

Variants

Ki-102

prototypes, 3 built

Ki-102a (Type Kō) Externally similar to the 102b, but with turbosuperchargers that enabled the engine to maintain its rating at higher altitudes. The 57 mm (2.24 in) cannon was swapped in favor of a 37 mm (1.46 in) cannon, and the 12.7 mm (.50 in) rear gun was deleted, 26 built.

Ki-102b (Type Otsu) Ground-attack variant similar to prototypes, except with revised tail wheel, 207 built

Ki-102c (Type Hei)

Night fighter version with lengthened fuselage and span. Radar under a Plexiglas dome, oblique-firing 20 mm cannons, and the 20 mm cannons in the belly replaced with 30 mm (1.18 in) cannons in Schräge Musik behind the cockpit, two built.

Ki-108

High-altitude fighter prototype with pressurised cabin, two conversions from Ki-102b aircraft using the structural improvements used on the 102c.

Ki-108 Kai

Improved version of the Ki-108 with longer fuselage and enlarged wings. Two built.

General characteristics· Crew: 2 · Length: 11.45 m (37 ft 7 in) · Wingspan: 15.57 m (51 ft 1 in) · Height: 3.70 m (12 ft 2 in) · Wing area: 34 m² (366 ft²) · Empty weight: 4,950 kg (10,900 lb) · Loaded weight: 7,300 kg (16,000 lb) · Powerplant: 2 × Mitsubishi Ha-112-II Ru 14-cylinder radial engine, 1,120 kW (1,500 hp) each Performance· Maximum speed: 580 km/h (310 kn, 360 mph) · Range: 2,000 km (1,100 nmi, 1,200 mi) · Service ceiling: 10,000 m (33,000 ft) · Rate of climb: 2,340 ft/min (714 m/min) · Power/mass: 2.4 kg/kW (5.4 lb/hp) Armament· Guns: · 1 × 57 mm (2.24 in) Ho-401 cannon—replaced in the 102a with a 37 mm (1.46 in) Ho-203 cannon, deleted in the 102c · 2 × 20 mm Ho-5 cannon in the belly—replaced in the 102c with 30 mm (1.18 in) cannons in the package, plus oblique-firing 2 × 20 mm cannons · 1 × 12.7 mm (0.50 in) Ho-103 machine gun—deleted in the 102a and 102c · Bombs: · 2 × 200 L (53 US gal) drop tanks; or · 2 × 250 kg (551 lb) bombs or · 1 × Kawasaki Igo-1b guided missile

Kawasaki Ki-148

Kawasaki Igo-1-B, otherwise known as Kawasaki Ki-148 was a World War II Japanese guided air-to-surface missile designed in 1944. Developed along its sister projects of Mitsubishi Igo-1-A and Tokyo Imperial University-designed Igo-1-C, the Igo-1-B was a simple radio-controlled guided bomb propelled by a rocket engine generating 150 kilograms (330 lb) of thrust for up to 80 seconds. Test trials were carried out in late 1944 and the weapon was quickly ordered by the war ministry. Launched during tests from a modified Kawasaki Ki-48 light bomber, its standard mother aircraft was to be the modern Kawasaki Ki-102 heavy fighter. Although approximately 180 missiles were built, none saw service before the end of World War II.

Specifications

· Length: 4.09 m (13 ft 5 in) · Wing Span: 2.60 m (8 ft 6 in) · Height: 0.90 m (2 ft 11 in) · Wing Area: 1.95 Square metres · All-Up Weight: 680 kg · Main Engine: 1 x Mitsubishi Tokuro-1 Type 2 Rocket (150 kg) · Max Speed: unknown · Range: unknown · Warhead: 300 kg HEAT
Old 03-26-2019, 12:16 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
You nailed it! Congratulations, Sir; and you are now up. What gave you the answer? Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

12.It was being held in reserve; awaiting a battle that never happened.

13. Still, great hope was placed in the ground attack version and the new and untried weapon it was to carry.
Actually, a couple of things did:
Clue 4, "It was being held in reserve; awaiting a battle that never happened" and Clue 12, "It was being held in reserve; awaiting a battle that never happened". Don't know if you noticed but the two clues were identical. Never the less, these had to point to a Japanese plane since every other remaining participant was against them at that time. The Japanese would have fought to the last person before surrendering and were training civilians to fight the Allies with whatever they had. They had to be preparing for an attack on the home islands that would have happened eventually if not for the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Clue 11, "And even then, only a few hundred of the ground attack version could be produced". This had to be a Kawasaki since everyone else was pretty much building single engine fighters, with the Ki-102 being the only one to be built in more than a few test samples.
Give me a day or two to come up with something for a quiz

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 03-26-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Ernie P.

Actually, a couple of things did:
Clue 4, "It was being held in reserve; awaiting a battle that never happened" and Clue 12, "It was being held in reserve; awaiting a battle that never happened". Don't know if you noticed but the two clues were identical. Never the less, these had to point to a Japanese plane since every other remaining participant was against them at that time. The Japanese would have fought to the last person before surrendering and were training civilians to fight the Allies with whatever they had. They had to be preparing for an attack on the home islands that would have happened eventually if not for the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Clue 11, "And even then, only a few hundred of the ground attack version could be produced". This had to be a Kawasaki since everyone else was pretty much building single engine fighters, with the Ki-102 being the only one to be built in more than a few test samples.
Give me a day or two to come up with something for a quiz
Duplicating clue 4 in clue 14 was deliberate. I wanted to spotlight that clue. Your extrapolation of clue 11 was spot on; and indicates a lot of knowledge of the subject. Good job. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Sorry for the delay, work has kept me a bit busy and limited my time to look for a subject.
With that all said, I FOUND ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking for an aircraft:
1) This plane used a unique method of construction
2) The country that designed and built this plane normally imported it's aircraft
3) This plane was a single seater
Good Luck
Old 03-28-2019, 04:32 PM
Ernie P.

Sorry for the delay, work has kept me a bit busy and limited my time to look for a subject.
With that all said, I FOUND ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking for an aircraft:
1) This plane used a unique method of construction
2) The country that designed and built this plane normally imported it's aircraft
3) This plane was a single seater
Good Luck
How about the Saab JAS 39 Gripen? Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.