Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Upgrading motor and Esc

Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 AM
cmmobley1977

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading motor and Esc

I have a brushed Blackout XTE. I am looking to upgrade the motor and esc in the unit. So I’m hoping one of you will know a good brushless motor and esc combo that will fit and if I’ll need to change the pinion gear?
Old 02-10-2019, 04:11 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

80A ESC: https://www.ebay.com/itm/80A-120A-Br...nhxA:rk:3:pf:0
550 3800kv motor: https://www.rcjuice.com/hobbystar-55...ess-motor.html

Don't forget about needing to swap out connectors on ESC to match whatever battery connector you are currently using.

No-name combo: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...LCOFXUCg%3D%3D

Just remember some of those really low money items can be hit or miss at times. Also note length of motor and the amount of room you have to mount a new motor. That extra protective plastic cover, around the ESC, may need to go when thinking about 3660 size motors.

When looking at motor specs, check out the motor shaft size as well. Some will have 3.17mm (1/8") shafts, while larger motors may have 5mm shafts.

Last edited by RustyUs; 02-10-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:22 PM
mondongox

Hello, i have the same car , and i want to upgrade it too, my only question is, can i use the same batteries (7.2V NiMH), or using those batteries its worthless?
Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sure, you can use your existing NiMh batteries with brushless motors/speed controls. You just have to make sure you set the speed control's low voltage cutoff to NiMh, or you will have very short runtimes when the voltage drops.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:13 PM
ScottC2

Default Blackout XTE

Originally Posted by cmmobley1977
I have a brushed Blackout XTE. I am looking to upgrade the motor and esc in the unit. So I’m hoping one of you will know a good brushless motor and esc combo that will fit and if I’ll need to change the pinion gear?
Hello, I have the same RC Redcat. I have been burning through a motor a week. I'm switching to brushless but want to keep my nimh batteries. Did you get it to work? What setup do you have?
Old 08-09-2020, 03:19 PM
ConcreteBoots

I just upgraded mine to a brushless and having some issues also, about to make a separate post about it shortly